Butternut Squash Soup

There is butternut squash soup and ... there is this finger lickin' one!
Quite some years ago, I had this amazing butternut squash soup with my friend David P. at Le Garage restaurant in Amsterdam. We both agreed it was one of the best ones ever. Except maybe for his mom's, he said at the time.
I asked him to get me his mom's butternut squash soup recipe like 15 years ago ... still waiting!
Aries is very impatient, so a while ago I started experimenting, adding ingredients and omitting others, till I found what I think is the perfect balance.

Ingredients (for approx. 5,5 l)
•4 butternut squash (approx. 1 kg each)
•4 medium onions, chopped
•2 big (or 4 small) garlic cloves, pressed
•3 l of vegetable stock
•1 1/2 tbs of (medium hot) curry powder
•1 big can (400 ml) of coconut milk
•2 tbs of (coconut) oil
•salt and pepper

What to do
•cuarter the butternut squash and steam it till the meat is soft (approx. 40 min.). In my rather small basket, it was able to steam one squash at a time
•sauté the onions and the garlic in a deep pan for approx. 5 min. (till they are clear and tender)
•add the flesh of the butternut squash (remove skin and seeds), mix and cook for another 5 min.
•add 3 l of vegetable stock and the curry
•bring everything to a boil and add the coconut milk
•turn down the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes
•turn the fire off and let it rest for another 10 minutes
•pour the mixture into your Vitamix® (or similar blending machine) and blend till smooth
•add salt and pepper if needed

Remarks
Making good soup takes a lot of love and time. So I like to make tons of it at a time and then freeze it...